Keeping Your Peonies Beautiful with Proper Care and Handling
Our Peony Flowers are harvested in bud form, often showing little color. In transit, peonies can often become dehydrated and/or limp (foliage can look very wilted). Don’t be alarmed! After following proper processing flowers and foliage will rejuvenate.
The Peony Buds may appear damaged and bruised, these are the outer guard petals that protect the flower and will not be noticeable when blooms open.
- Prepare a fresh flower solution in cold water. Be sure to measure correctly.
- Re-cut about 1" off stems and remove any foliage that is damaged or will be below the waterline when placed in solution.
- Place into solution and store in the cooler until you are ready to use them**
- Do not place peonies too tightly inside buckets. Flowers need room to open.
- Flowers can stay in same solution for 5-6 days.
- Peonies are big drinkers! Watch solution and fill with fresh flower food solution when needed.
- Peonies are ethylene sensitive so be careful and avoid ethylene situations.
** If you plan to use your peonies for a wedding or a one day special event, follow steps #1 and #2. Then place your peonies into solution at room temperature until they open to the desired stage. Then store them in solution in the cooler until you are ready to use them.
Peonies vase life is usually between 5 - 10 days depending on variety, age, treatment and other variables.
Always use Fresh Flower Food - Research shows vase life is prolonged 60% when fresh flower food is used over plain water.